Chiropractic Care for Seniors
Amazing Benefits of Treatment for the Elderly
We all slow down as we age and are always looking for ways to improve our quality of life. One of the safest, most effective ways of increasing health and happiness is through the use of chiropractic care. Chiropractic treatment can help in numerous ways. For starters, when segments of the spinal column are adjusted, it makes getting older less painful and more fulfilling. Since muscles, organs, and nerves are controlled primarily in the spine that means it's important to protect the health of your spine in order to contribute to a longer and more enjoyable life. Chiropractic care is a drug-free, all-natural way to do so. Spinal health contributes to overall physical and mental health in the following ways:
Increased Feelings of Well-Being
- Regular chiropractic care assists seniors with emotional issues by increasing their feelings of well-being. It allows better sleep at night and it provides energy to do more activities thereby improving their outlook on life.
Decline of Joint Degeneration
- Joint degeneration occurs naturally with age, but chiropractic treatment can slow down the process of decay by correcting misalignments to reduce wear. Everyone should have their spines aligned periodically to increase joint health.
Improved Balance and Coordination
- Degeneration of the cervical spine (neck area) and something called mechanoreceptors negatively affects balance and coordination. Chiropractic care is essential for improving these functions in the elderly by stimulating the mechanoreceptors.
Reduced Likelihood of Falls
- Chiropractic adjustments help to reduce the likelihood of falls amongst seniors by fine-tuning mechanoreceptors. These are located in the cervical spine and control coordination, balance, and mobility. The National Council on Aging, NCOA advises that an elderly person falls every 11 seconds and that nearly 85% of the bone breaks that occur in seniors are due to injury from a fall. Even worse is that falls contribute to a significant amount of deaths each year; approximately 27,000. If improving your balance and stability is a concern, seeking chiropractic care could be just what you need to prevent the damage that can come from bad fall.
Better Range of Motion
- The range of motion in the spine and extremities can be improved with chiropractic care. Results are usually noticeable after the first treatment and allow the elderly to engage in more activities pain-free.
- Chiropractors can offer treatment that is proven to provide relief of pain in the elderly. It is one of the safest and most effective forms of health care available and it's all-natural and drug-free. Medications often have side effects and only mask symptoms.
- Oftentimes, seniors with degenerating health are required to live in nursing homes or assisted living facilities. Chiropractic care has been shown to improve health and mobility in the elderly and reducing the likelihood that they will lose their independence.
Reach Out Now!
By regularly seeing a chiropractor for care, spinal health is improved allowing seniors to engage in a more active and fulfilling lifestyle for many years. Pain is reduced, balance is improved, and mobility is increased to provide a better life to the elderly.
A Chiropractic adjustment could end the needless suffering of the elderly and helps to make their lives and the lives of those around them more enjoyable. Having a limited range of motion can be debilitating, you owe it to yourself and your loved ones to improve your quality of life don’t you?
Please add a comment to Share your story and experience with Chiropractic.
-Dr. Ryan Curda
Or visit our Pacific Beach Chiropractic Center at